One long string of random thoughts...

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Better Speech and Hearing Month

I thought I would remind you all, since it is my professional responsibility, that May is Better Speech & Hearing month. I won't offer free advice again this year since last year I had no takers, but I will recommend a good movie to watch in celebration of this month. Last weekend we watched The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (watch out for 2 very "french" scenes) and I'm just going to brag a little and say that I have actually WORKED with a patient with the same problem as in that movie. It was hilarious to watch someone doing exactly what I do onscreen. I guess people with more normal jobs like accountants, lawyers, etc. get to do that with a lot of movies but I've never experienced it before. It really is a very inspirational movie, though Bryan will tell you very "long." Its an independent film, that happens. So check it out if you want to see a glimpse into my professional life...

In other news, we went camping this weekend, just the RS girls. What a great time. I came home so dirty (of course) and smoky but it was awesome. We put up our own tents, built our own fires, made 2 courses in a dutch oven, and as far as I know no one even broke a nail. Those are some well-rounded women, I tell you. My favorite part was when I tried to get coals out of the fire to make peach cobbler with a gardening shovel. Of course, I didn't think to use oven mitts too until I had tried about 10 times and almost burned my hands off. I'm really not too smart sometimes. This will not come as a surprise to close friends or family. When I was younger my parents used to ask me how I could be so smart and so dumb at the same time. A mystery that is yet unsolved...


2 comments:

Jerald said...

What a great blog, I will take you up on the free hearing screening, everyone is telling me I'm deaf and to turn up my hearing aids. I have a speech problem too, but it's just that I speak too much and your dad has been trying to correct it for years to no avail!

mom

Lisa said...

look at you flashing some bling in that last picture!