One long string of random thoughts...

Saturday, July 28, 2007

It is hotter than...



(nice try--you WISH I would swear on my blog)...blazes...chili peppers...an oven...Mazatlan in August...my car's engine driving through Las Vegas...possibly even the surface of the SUN.

I am really very fed up with the heat level in this house, as well as all the houses and buildings I have been in today. This may be the sole reason that I could end up believing in global warming. I tell you what, it NEVER got this hot around here when I was younger. And the past two summers have become unbearable at points.

Last two days I have taken freezing cold showers. Today I even plunged myself into the ocean in my workout clothes just to try to lower my soaring body temperature.

And I quote from the National Weather Service, "JULY WEATHER IN SAN DIEGO...UNDER THE PROTECTIVE BLANKET OF MOIST AIR FROM THE PACIFIC, TEMPERATURES ARE LOW FOR
THE LATITUDE. THE DAILY MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE RARELY EXCEEDS 85 DEGREES. THE HIGHEST TEMPERATURE IN JULY WAS 100 DEGREES IN 1930...HOT...HUMID WEATHER IS ALMOST UNKNOWN."

Raise your hand if you feel protected by the blanket of the Pacific. Anyone? I didn't think so.

Now, mind you, I know there are many of you out there who live in much hotter climes. However, you likely have air conditioning in your homes. Rare is the home in coastal San Diego that has central A/C, we just don't have the infrastructure for this kind of heat.

In light of this suffering, I am going to list the things I have recently found to be handy in providing relief from the heat (if only temporary):

-Carrying around a 10 lb bag of ice from the grocery store
-Building a fort in the living room with white sheets as the roof, then blasting a fan into it
-Freezing cold showers (already mentioned above)
-The ocean (also already mentioned above)
-Driving around in your car (those ALL come with a/c thankfully)
-Drinking lots of cold lemonade (sometimes too much)
-Ice cream
-More ice cream

7 comments:

Jerald said...

The reason you think it is so hot is because you lived three blocks from the beach your whole life until a couple of years ago and we only had a couple of days all year that were unbearable. I actually had to put my slippers on today, as my feet were cold. I do however like the photo of the sheet fort, you used to love making those as a small child. Of course this is your mom writing.

lisa c. said...

I totally agree with you. I grew up in 100 degree summers, but we live near the coast for heaven's sake! I moved closer to the ocean for a reason! What is going on with this humidity as well! Can't wait till this "Pacific" blanket moves on!

amy said...

Hey, just be grateful you're not 7 months pregnant like me! Amers :)

Peter FNFN said...

whiner.
eat your heart out in Mexico.
p.s. no central A/C there!

Peter FNFN said...

p.s. why does Brian have socks in his hands?

tjcool18 said...

No updates from DC? Weak Maren!

Jerald said...

I'm really getting tired of reading this same blog over and over again. Would you please give me something new to read about? Thanks, mom