One long string of random thoughts...

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Date night highlights...

Apparently some of you are really getting a kick out of how I tend to focus on the most random things in the world. This is a good appraisal of the situation, I do like to focus on the hilarious details around me. In the spirit of this, you will hopefully be highly entertained with the following events.

Because Bryan left me today for 4 days in San Francisco for a conference, so last night we had a big night out on the town. Apparently I have forgotten what to do when I'm alone because I've been staring at the wall for a good deal of time tonight and now I'm watching a chick flick that even I admit is horrific. Ok back to the topic at hand, last night was date night.

After Bryan's fabulous home-made dinner (shout out to Chicken Florentine and his adventurous cooking skills), we headed down to the Prado to walk around. The minute we arrived we noted a plethora of bike people riding in a circle around the large central fountain. It reminded us of Classic Skating roller rink but with bikes. I thought it was some sort of weird night club, but then just when I was getting really puzzled all 300 of them took off and rode west down the street. It was weird.

Apparently I'm not as hip as Ben (Darcie's fiance) who suggested it was probably "critical mass." Critical what?



We also saw some monks walking through the streets of downtown jingling bells and accompanied by at least one man in street clothes. Mind you this was the height of debauchery in downtown, 9:30 pm on a Friday night. I, again, had no idea what was going on. Apparently I'm also not as smart as Tom (Kristy's husband) who suggested they were probably Hari Krishna's spreading their message.


I also saw a huge stuffed Shamu sitting at a table by itself at a restaurant but I failed to get a picture of that.

To top off all the craziness we pretty much HAD (ok their were a couple of spots before this) to park on the 7th floor of the parking structure downtown--and pay 8 bucks for it. What an injustice. We didn't even get protection from the weather up there, it was the last level and outdoor. Oh wait, it was 60 degrees and clear but whatever.

4 comments:

Peter FNFN said...

those ice-rink bikers all look like demons, or zombies. maybe it's a night club to bring the two warring races together?
i wish i had someone to take out on double dates with bryan and maren... you are pretty random maren... and i think my randomness meshes well when i'm with you. bryan would probably enjoy himself!

The Woodlands said...

You CRACK ME UP lady!!! The downtown Harie Krishnas are nuts. matt and I have managed more than a few run-ins with them!
P.S. Had no idea Ben and Darcie are engaged...thanks for the updates!!

Kristin Rose said...

Hey girl! It has been FOREVER since I have talked to you. I got your blog address from Natalie. I need your current email so we can talk. Email me at kristinklly@yahoo.com so we can catch up.

Unknown said...

maren, thank you for keeping the random news alive. Oh how I miss those CRAZY san diego nights! Ive seen many hare krishnas in various outfits with various musical gadgets myself - and yes, its amusing and slightly terrifying.

Also, as for my pregnancy induced memory loss and the floating babies...I apologize. They will be removed shortly. But i have to say...the little alien sort of grew on me rotating around my screen. And the lesbian rainbow at the bottom? cmon - its just all in good P.C. fun!