One long string of random thoughts...

Sunday, September 23, 2007

"Feel a fool running your stateside games...Oh Mexico"--James Taylor




Let me tell you what I love about the borderland. Mexico to me has two different faces, the one that I see on vacations far away with the family (see Cabo Dolphins post) and the one I see when traveling close to the US border.

Last weekend we went down to Puerta de Fe (an orphanage) near Ensenada. It was my 6th trip in year and some things never cease to amaze:

-The quality of tacos at slightly suspicious roadside stands.
-Manzanita Lift (always better in the southland).
-How amazingly cute those kids are.
-Why in the world Mexico makes it so difficult for us to adopt those kids and take them to the better side of the greatest wealth/quality of life differential in all the world (someone told me that once about San Diego vs. Tijuana).
-People that buy things like creamed corn and churros while waiting in line at the border (would you like some smog with those food items?). Disgusting.

A couple of new things amazed this time:
-Krystle's comment, "One thing I've learned from you Maren--just because you are in Mexico doesn't mean you have to be ghetto." I'm sure glad I've contributed something to her life.
-Peter somehow getting EVERYONE up and out of the campground by 7 a.m. Sunday morning. I said it couldn't be done. O ye of little faith...
-Churros FILLED with gooey chocolate. Enough said. Emily and my dream come true...

4 comments:

Jerald said...

awww, Mexico with a James Taylor quote, it doesn't get much better does it?
Mom

Peter FNFN said...

WOW... Maren... somehow I haven't checked your blog in a while, and you've done a lot! I thought people only did stuff when i checked their blog... turns out people go on with life regardless. Thanks for the props on the Rise and Shine success... I knew it could be done! Tell your Mom HI! i feel like i can say that now that i've met 2 more of her kids.
You were missed last night at the Kaiizen photo sharing party at Natalie's, but don't worry, you and I were noted as the "organizers" in Lauren's movie she made. Thanks for your help Mama Kaiizen.
p.s. Krystle's learning a lot from you! Well done!

lisa c. said...

..wo-oh-oh-oh Mexico!" love James Taylor. Yup, I have that song on a CD I play when I'm driving north actually...

Designing Woman said...

I feel sort of famous right now...I was QUOTED!! You really have taught me a lot about how to not only survive in mexico, but thrive! :)