One long string of random thoughts...

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Tragedy at home

Today before I went to work, I went to Qualcomm stadium to donate some goods. This was one of the most emotionally conflicted experiences I have ever had. Amidst sadness, great tragedy, and a feeling of hopelessness the strength of the human spirit and hope shone through. Neighbors helped each other in a parking lot full of tents and camping chairs. Children and pets were cared for as San Diegans lined up to donate blood. The line of people waiting to drop carloads of supplies was as long as the line of people coming for refuge. What appeared to be a modern refugee camp was also a giant support group. Armored trucks, Wal-Mart semis full of donated supplies, a makeshift hospital, and free concession stands were all present as this community suffers together and works toward healing.

I have lived here all my life and this is the greatest crisis I have ever seen. All our San Diego family who have lost so much are in our prayers.

2 comments:

Nat's blog said...

Maren...I have spent hours on the internet wanting to know ever detail. thank you for blogging about this. this is our home maren. it is so hard to watch and i wish i could be there to help. i am so happy you were able to. i pray that you and your family are ok. I am sure your dad is very overwhelmed with the reponsibility of the stake at a time like this. wow. I know Johnny is, so I can only imagine. keep me updated ok? love you. nat

Harper and Blair said...

oh my gosh maren that is sooooooooo sad... but happy in the way that people were participating in helping these sad people. i miss you when are you coming for dinner?????? oh sorry off subject