One long string of random thoughts...

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Man with a Pashmina

Yep, that's what Darcie and I saw the other night while driving home. We saw a man riding his bike across the street, in the dark, wearing a patterned pashmina around his shoulders. He was also eating some sort of snack food while steering his bike with one hand. For some reason or another this struck me as very European. Maybe I figure that if men can wear capris in Europe then they can wear pashminas. I don't pretend to understand how my mind really works. And for those of you who know the area, this was not in Hillcrest. It was on Governor Drive. Some of you may not know what a pashmina is...let me provide the official wikipedia definition:

"Pashmina accessories are available in a range of sizes, from "scarf" (12" x 60") to "wrap" or "stole" (28" x 80") to fullsize shawl (36" x 80"). Pure pashmina is a rather gauzy, open weave, as the wool cannot tolerate high tension. The most popular pashmina fabric is a 70% pashmina/30% silk blend, but 50/50 is also common. The 70/30 is tightly woven, has an elegant sheen and drapes nicely, but is still quite soft and light-weight.

A pashmina shawl can range in cost from as little as about $35US for a pure pashmina scarf or up to hundreds of $US for a super high-quality pure pashmina shawl. They are known for their softness and warmth. A craze for pashminas in the mid-1990's resulted in high demand for pashminas, so demand exceeded supply."

And many of you know I love quotes of the week. I am going to make an effort to start a quote of the week here on the blog. This may only last one week so don't hold me to it, but this week's quote:

"What's wrong with getting married? I do it all the time." --Christy (married to Gabe...see blog at right)

I am now going to eat my dinner which consists of mint M & M's. I discovered yesterday that they have been reincarnated for the Christmas season already. That may be the only Christmasy thing I can support being marketed before Thanksgiving, only because I will be living on a steady diet of them until New Year's.

2 comments:

SecretLifeOfDarcie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jerald said...

Someone left something untoward on your blog I see. I love your quote of the week and can't wait to see the next one. Thanks for all of your help in the last couple of weeks, and for taking thanksgiving off my hands. I'm sure you guys will do me proud

Love, MOM