One long string of random thoughts...

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Just like on Full House (you know, the intro credits)




See I have this thing about roller coasters...I love them just the right amount of scary that they are fun, but not so scary that I actually fear for my life (irrational I know). I hate the ones at the Del Mar Fair (not scary enough) and I HATE the X at Magic Mountain (I actually cried) because it is too scary. I'm really quite hard to please when it comes to roller coasters. My personal favorite is California Screamin' at DLand. Ok, so I'm partial to all things DLand but it really is a perfect coaster. Just enough scary mixed with not.


What I'm getting at is that the Giant Dipper, at Belmont Park here in San Diego, is pretty darn fun. You would think it would be lame seeing as it is a wooden coaster built in 1925, but it is surely not. And for homegrown amusement, I think you would be hard pressed to find something quite as entertaining in the form of a coaster. As Jbob said, "this is TOTALLY worth it." "It" being the 6 bucks we paid to ride it. A little steep for just one ride, but its the experience that counts. And coming soon, "half price ride night," every Tuesday all summer. That would go a long way on a date as far as I'm concerned, take note SD daters.


I don't even think I can describe the fun in words, so I'm just going to refer you to this link for a virtual ride:


Its every bit as great as I remembered from childhood, but now with padded seats to keep you from needing a chiropractor.


I will say that I haven't been there in years, and last night I was appalled at the quality of people and merchandise displayed on this iconic SoCal (hate that abbreviation but so appropiate here) boardwalk. It was like a eclectic mix of county fair midway and Mexican feria. Pete and I decided the only thing missing was some cute kids selling Chiclets. But yet, you can buy lovely bling rings (see below) right next to an arcade selling cotton candy. Unfortunately, said bling ring stand was not open so we were not able to peruse the actual merchandise. I'm still hazy on what EXACTLY a bling ring is.


4 comments:

Jerald said...

Ok, it was as good as you said it would be. You know the first time you were tall enough to ride Space Mountain you were probably only 3 or 4 and we sort have cajoled you onto the ride. When it got over your eyes were huge and we asked you if you liked it, perfect Maren response was "yes, but let's not do it again". mom

Peter FNFN said...

hahahah... your mom wrote on your blog! i wish my mom could do that... i'm still in the training phase with her (i.e. she only blogs when i come home for a weekend and i walk her through it)
i ABSOLUTELY LOVED the coaster ride! super good! thanks for the experience!

emi. said...

Let's talk about your gorgeousness for a minute.

emi. said...

Let's talk about your gorgeousness for a minute.