One long string of random thoughts...

Sunday, May 6, 2007

Lake Iwishiwasarealone

Went hiking today out at Lake Poway. The thing is, though, the whole lake was like a giant SNL skit or Punk'd episode. We arrived at the lake, paid to park, and took our first views of what appeared to be a gorgeous, sparkling oasis. We promptly began walking along the edge of the lake and Phil (on my right) was teaching me how to skip rocks. About 5 minutes into this, some sort of park ranger/boat renter guy/security personnel came on the a megaphone and yelled, "Attention on the shore: Please DO NOT throw rocks into the lake." WHAT in the world, are you kidding me? Later, I wanted to go for a swim. I go put my swimsuit on, walk over to the lake edge and find in huge letters on a sign "NO SWIMMING ALLOWED in the Lake." Ok, strike 2. By this point I'm really starting to look for a hidden camera. I mean, what is the point of a lake if you can't swim in it, right? So I'm sitting on the shore, trying to enjoy myself next to a body of water you can neither swim in nor skip rocks on, and all the sudden I hear the nebulous loudspeaker operator again. "Due to the HIGH wind advisory, no one may bring their boats in to dock or take boats out of dock for 2 hours. You must use the bathrooms on the shore around the lake, DO not come in to the dock." Meanwhile I'm looking around at trees that are not even swaying in the wind. I mean, what if some guy out there in his fishing boat had a dentist appointment in 1 hour? What was he going to do?

All in all quite hilarious. Don't get me wrong though, it was a beautiful place with a pretty little trail. I recommend it as a day trip, just make sure you know what the rules are. Because if not, Big Brother WILL remind you...Also all take note, I am turning into quite the little outdoors woman. Hiking, camping, what is next? I'm thinking about taking up rock climbing or mountain biking...My poor mom never saw this coming, she thought she had raised a lifetime noncamper!

2 comments:

tjcool18 said...

Everybody knows that you shouldn't throw rocks into a lake. It will eventually cause the water to rise. It is a metaphor of throwing CO2 into our atmosphere which will eventually cause the ocean to rise and swallow California.

I thought you knew that.

Jerald said...

Does this mean that you really do want a large ice chest for your birthday?